Slideshow

Sunday, March 7, 2010

Just a Dog

Saw this on a friend's Facebook page and echoed how I feel today.

Just a Dog

From time to time people tell me,
"Lighten up, it's just a dog," or,
"That's a lot of money for just a dog."
They don't understand the distance traveled,
the time spent or the costs involved for "just a dog."

Some of my proudest moments have
come about with "just a dog."

Many hours have passed and my only
company was "just a dog,"
but I did not once feel slighted.

Some of my saddest moments have been
brought about by "just a dog," and,
in those days of darkness,
the gentle touch of "just a dog"
gave me comfort and
reason to overcome the day.

If you, too, think it's "just a dog,"
then you will probably understand
phases like "just a friend,"
"just a sunrise," or "just a promise."

"Just a dog" brings into my life
the very essence of friendship,
trust, and pure unbridled joy.

"Just a dog" brings out the compassion
and patience that makes me a better person.

Because of "just a dog" I will rise early,
take long walks and look longingly to the future.

So for me, and folks like me,
it's not "just a dog" but an embodiment
of all the hopes and dreams of the future,
the fond memories of the past
and the pure joy of the moment.

"Just a dog" brings out what's
good in me and diverts my thoughts
away from myself and the worries of the day.

I hope that someday they can understand
that it's not "just a dog" but the thing
that gives me humanity and keeps
me from being "just a human."

So the next time you hear the phrase
"just a dog." just smile....because they "just don't understand."

- Anonymous

1 comment:

If you are entering a giveaway please make sure you leave your email address in the comment if it's not available on your profile.